But Why Not Sally Thompson?



Playing: Baami by Femi FlamexMike Abdul

Heey😊
First, thank you everyone! Thank you for your support since yesterday 😭
No, I'm not sorry for being mushy. Thank you really. I'm super grateful.

☆☆☆☆☆

So, growing up, I never really liked my name 'Iyanuoluwa'. Iyanu for short. The Yorubas have a saying that 'you first look into the house the baby is coming from before naming the child', but I just didn't like my name.




Even during my nursery/primary education in Ecoles Divines, when the teacher brought us kids out to play;we had the opportunity to sing a couple of nursery rhymes. One of them being;

My naame, my name, my name
Pamuregeji
My name is ...
Pamuregeji
Δ° come from ... state
Pamuregeji
(Some people are already singing along)πŸ˜‚
Sorry if you were born in 2004πŸ˜†
But wait, that song is a nursery rhyme nah abi?πŸ˜…

Don't get me wrong, I liked the song and all the fun attached (which included shaking our waists) but my name didn't fit in the part we were to put our names because it was 3 syllables. It wasn't really interesting, y'know? Why didn't I have a fine jaw and name as perfect as that girl in Basic 3, Sally Thompson? Why, God, why?



Infact, having to introduce myself to fine boys was somehow because they end up asking stuff like, 'Iyanu? What does that mean? Doesn't Iya mean mother?'
Imagine if my name was SallyπŸ˜’
They'll be saying things like, 'aww, that's a nice name' instead.
What about those who wanted to write the name and started with the letter E😞

Then one day few years ago, my whole family went to see one of our family friends. The father of the house supposedly helped with my birth. After calling me 'man in skirt', he turned to his colleague and said, 'they already finished this one'. It was surprising. Who are they?πŸ˜‚

Although I knew mom almost went through a C-section trying to conceive me but I didn't know I was already finished. Ah God😒
Then it clicked.

Mom had wanted to go to the rest room few minutes before the operation and on her way back had started experiencing labour pains. Mama put to bed without the operation. Easy and stress free. The nurses were said to have started rejoicing, saying, 'Iyanu ni!', meaning, 'it's a miracle!'all through the hospital.



I got to understand that names are a vital part of us. If my parents think of me as a wonder, why should I think otherwise? My name is deep with meaning please.
I could even go on and on about what miracles and wonders are but I'm sΓΌre you know what a miracle would be if it happened to you.

So now, whenever I have to introduce myself, I do it with pride. 'Hi, I'm Iyanuoluwa. No no no, not Aanuoluwa, Iyanuoluwa'.πŸ˜‚





- What's your name and what does it mean?

Comments

  1. David means God's beloved; same as Oluwafemi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor means winner
    Oluwakayode means God has brought us joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel. It means God is my Judge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel. It means God is my Judge

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what Daniel means? I never knew!πŸ˜‚

    Thank you😁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olutola - God is more than wealth ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olawale means wealth has come home
    But really did fine boys ask for your name?πŸ˜’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So in other words Olawale, fine boys cannot ask for my name?😭

      Delete
  8. My name is deep too. Ifedapo. It means Love mix together. I often tell people that my parents didn't complete the name. So I sometimes say Ifedapomogbogbonkantoda πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. It simply means love mix with everything that is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
      That one is sure to cause a chemical reaction 😁

      Thank you Ife❤

      Delete
  9. Hey Wonder Woman πŸ˜€... My name is Adebayo which either means "he came in a joyful time "or the "king/crown/royalty meets joy"... So when you think of royalty,joy and the likes,you are probably thinking about meπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

      Ohh, now I get the first interpretation. Ah πŸ‘‘πŸ‘‘πŸ‘‘

      Delete
  10. Oluwamopewa
    Means God brought a reason to thank him. Not "God brings thanks"
    Basically Oluwamuimolatifopefunwa πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
    Thank God it's shortened.
    As in I've had people tell me My name is wrong🀦🏾‍♀. Amean is it your name?🀷🏾‍♀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I wouldn't have thought of the interpretation as, 'God brought a reason to give thanks'πŸ˜†

      Right?πŸ˜‚
      It's not their name please.

      Thank you for being here ❤πŸ˜™

      Delete
  11. My name is "oluwafunmilayo"
    It means God gives me Joy πŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒ

      Your parents must have thought you a bundle of joy!

      Thank you for being here loveπŸ˜™❤

      Delete
  12. My name is Ayomide...Lovely post i must say πŸ’š

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well my name Oluwatoyin
    Means God is worthy to be praised
    Which is why I don't like it when people call me Toyin tomato, or pepper or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toyin tomato πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
      Thank you for being here babe πŸ’ž

      Delete
  14. Mine is Titobioluwaleyi which means this is the greatness of God. Babe your write ups are ♥️♥️♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oluwatobiloba!
    It means GOD is big enough to be King!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The First Time I Tried Ranting Here

I Think Tiwa Caused It😞